The root of problem is the government’s policy of treating the Settlers at par with the local people and sometimes even more. The Panchayati Raj allowed for their participation is no different.
We contend that the PR system is not for outsiders/non-APSTs. The Arunachal Pradesh Panchayati Raj Act 1997 is local self governance of local people. Hence it is illegal to extend such benefits for them. Other governmental facilities that do not usurp local rights can be easily provided, and will not attract any objections from Arunachal people.
Various delegations were made by the All Arunachal Pradesh Anti-Corruption Students’ Union (AAPACSU) and the All Yobin Students’ Union (AYSU).
- The team debuted with the representation to the Chief Secretary demanding to “Stop enrolment of non-APST in PR system” Org (AP Times, 28 Nov 2017).
- Represented to the Chief Minister with the message: Disallow participation of non-locals in Panchayati Raj system (AP Times, 21 March 2018).
- Unions serve ultimatum to CM (AP Times, 7 April 2018)
- A peaceful rally was called in Itanagar on 3rd May 2018 (YobinDreams). The Arunachal Dailies did not publish regarding this rally.
- The latest is a “Ten day ultimatum to the ADC, Miao” (Video on Arunachal Today News, 9 July 2019). Following which there is plan to non-stop agitations. There was no other message was made by the ADC, except that he will forward the case to the DC.
The only response on this issue from the Government is SILENCE – a complete silence with a zero reply.
Is silence a good strategy? I doubt because our guys are not going to take rest until a resolution is reached. A genuine issue for the welfare of the State invested for the last two years will not allow to go waste.