Lasted updated: 22 February 2013
For the last three years, there were “patch” works on Miao-Vijoynagar Road (MV Road). There were small release of funds, constructors just push around mud and manage to pass the trucks and bulldozers. No drainages, bridges were constructed. The road is useful only in winter.
INDICATIONS FOR GOOD ROAD
Now there are good indications that there is definite plan to complete this road:
- PMGSY sanction huge amount, Rs 268 crore on 22 January 2013.
- Jairam Ramesh, Union Rural Minister, laid foundation stone on 19 February. He promised the road will be completed in three years.
- Clear plans to build 25 bridges and 600 culverts.
- The road is centrally sponsored project and hence “middle men” cannot meddle around.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MV ROAD:
- This is the longest road ever granted under PMGSY.
- About 100 km (under Namdapha) will be gravel road and only 57 km piece road.
- First time ever, MV Road is in national dailies.
OFF SIDE: Few negative points or uncertainties I see
- About 70% of the road are not tar road. Speed vehicle ride will be a drawback. The Central Government listened to Namdapha Wildlife Authorities. Of course, we did not even present our case.
- There is no information about the execution body. Is it PWD or someone else?
- Be prepared to see unwanted: there are many roads half constructed roads under PMGSY on Miao – Jagun Road. Someone told me there is even a road between Kharsang and Jairampur on MAP, not on GROUND.
- AP Times reported a concern of Jairam Ramesh for the many uncompleted projects under PMGSY.
Ramesh to join Statehood Day celebrations (18 February 2013, AP Times
Centre approves two vital roads for Arunachal (22 January 2013, Times of India).
PMGSY roads to link Lada, Vijayanagar with rest of Arunachal (21 January 2013, AP Times).
China ‘push’ gets Arunachal Pradesh roads (by Rahul Karmakar, 21 February 2013, Hindustan Times).
Miao-Vijaynagar road foundation laid (by Pranjal Baruah, 21 February 2013, Times of India).
(Side note: all news writers misspell Vijoynagar as Vijaynagar)