Several questions to my mind as I search for information on Miao-Vijoynagar Road:
- Why was this road constructed as early as 1970? What was the motivation?
- What was the reason the road was abandoned till 2007?
- Then, what prompted to restart construction?
Along the way I found few facts:
- 1972: The road was built and was motorable till 1980. Arunachal Pradesh Governor KAA Raja arrived on a fleet of 12 jeeps. It was the first and the last vehicles seen there.
- December 2009: Dr. S. B. Deepak Kumar, then DC of Changlang walked through the M-V Road and strongly recommended its construction.
- August 7, 2010: The Governor Gen. J. J. Singh in his visit at Miao directed the PWD to start construction and complete it by December. See his press release.
- March 2011: Road reopened after 36 years.
- January 10, 2012: Eight company vehicles arrived at Shidi, consisting of bulldozers, trucks. The next day I walked four days to reach Miao.
- I heard PWD sent proposal to construct metalled road between Miao to Deban and Shidi to Vijoynagar, and not in between. And it was rejected by Central Government, since the road is funded by PMGSY.
- There is ongoing debate between PWD and Namdapha over who controls what.
- February 01, 2011: The Border Roads Organization (BRO) sent invitation to bid for surveying and providing detailed report for Nampong to Vijoynagar road, 213 km. An alternate National Highway, double lane, is going to be available for us.
- The Governor continues to take good interest for our road.
This is what I sense. The Namdapha wants to make sure we don’t get road at all. They raise as many objections as they can. Their goal: keep animals and don’t worry about human. And those PWD and politicians want to extract as much money as they can from the Central Government, by repeatedly proposing this project and never completing it.